Do you ever feel kind of stuck when it comes to what to do in your home? Sometimes we want to give a room in our homes a new look without spending a lot of money, and it can be hard to know where to even start.
It’s intimidating to dive into decorating your home if you haven’t ever done it before, but with a little creativity, you’d be surprised at how much you can get done. Below are 7 super simple ways to transform your home without spending a lot of money or putting in a lot of effort.
- Give your lamps an upgrade.Did you know it’s incredibly easy (and cheap) to give your lamps a major makeover just by swapping out the shade? If you have an old lamp that you don’t love as much as you used to, just grab a new shade pop it on, and it looks like a brand-new lamp!
- Reupholster an old chair. I know the word “reupholster” is pretty intimidating, but it does not have to be – it’s super cheap, doesn’t take long, and is simple for even the most beginner DIYer.
- Have old carpet you hate? You might think you’re stuck with it, but you could actually replace it with a really affordable option – and you can do it by yourself with vinyl plank. It looks amazing, it’s so easy, and it’ll totally transform your home on a major low budget.
- Swap out some pillows. One way to make a major change without any work on your part (and without spending a lot of money) is to replace the throw pillows on your sofa and your bed. Sometimes all it takes is playing a quick shuffling game with pillows you already have and sometimes add one or two more to the collection. It’s easy, requires basically zero commitment, and will make a bigger impact than you’d expect.
- Try some DIY art.You may always feel like you can’t do this, but when you really push yourself to get creative you might find that the art you make myself is often your very favourite. The sky’s the limit with what you do here, and it’s usually really low cost so you don’t have to worry if you hate it – just toss it and try again later! This is a great way to make a big impact in a room with something that’s one of a kind, and it’s easier than you might expect.
- Upgrade your drawer pulls.One cheap way to make a room look new is to change out the drawer pulls on a dresser or other piece of furniture. It only takes about 5 minutes to do, is super cheap, and can make a plain ol’ piece look like something special. New knobs and pulls on your cabinetry in your kitchen or bathroom can also make a huge difference on a budget. There are tons of great options at your local hardware store.
- Add a plant (or two). They don’t have to be real, but bonus points if they are! Just look for plants that have low water requirements and are easy to care for and you’ll be amazed at how much better your home feels.